Screencasting Delivers Video Based Demonstrations &
Teachers know the problem is not content the problem is delivery. They know what they need to teach. Their challenge is to ensure higher content retention in the time available. Screencasting allows lectures on-line providing more class time spent on homework.
Richard E. Mayer’s cognitive theory of multimedia learning suggests maximum performance occurs when visual & verbal materials are presented together. His book Multimedia Learning examines research on instructional based design and if we learn more deeply when ideas are expressed in words and pictures rather than by words alone.
Sales & Marketing’s problem is to deliver presentations, lectures, video based demonstrations and step-by-step instructions, delivering content “asynchronously”, at the audience’s convenience, regardless of their time zone, and “unattended” without a lecturer present and without the travel & expense costs. Successful screencasts are remembered and repeated.
Every organization is a learning organization, every student & employee needs to be kept up to date. Equipment and processes change, you can’t stop the factory and put everyone into a lecture hall. It is everyone’s problem. On-demand, just-in time multimedia learning is much more productive as it can focus on those who need it, when they need it.
Screencasting starts with a Script.
Successful screencasts are re-written many times. When draft is written, consider how it may be reduced to essential ideas. What will it sound like when spoken? Could three points tell the story in 140 characters? Guy Kawasaki uses a 10-20-30 Rule of 10 Slides, 20 Minutes and a Font Size 30 for start-up funding presentations.
Editing allows segment distillation by cutting recorded elements and allows voice over & background music adjustments. Graphic call-outs and zoom & pan effects can be added to call attention to specific information.
Rendering edited projects allows completed video screencasts saved in a range of sizes & formats. Uploading of projects to YouTube, Vimeo and other hosting services such as Screencast.com or MediaCore. Provide iTunes podcast subscriptions, render in multiple video formats and embed completed videos on your website.
Examples of Screencasts:
- Ideas to improve School Zone Safety.
- PDF Portfolios can contain a wide range of documents in a single portfolio + Send large files via Acrobat.com.
- Snagit is screen capture & image editing software . This screencast shows how to use the Send tab to share images with Skype contacts.
- Another Sending Files tip. Try free XOOMFILE software.
- Collection of Historical Travel Films. On-line on Screencast.com or iTunes.
Power Point to Video:
Convert presentations into video, don’t leave them on your desktop.
- For Power Point 2010 & Camtasia power tips click here: PPT to Video
- Camtasia & Power Point Add-In: click tutorial screencast or see below.
- All Camtasia tutorials here: TechSmith
Audio – Sounding Good:
- Good audio starts with a good microphone and a quiet room.
- Record script dialogue with free Audacity software.
- A recorded voice track serves as a guide to production length.
- Voice recordings can be added into Power Point or Camtasia before rendering as a completed video.
- Adding royalty free background music on a second audio track fills blanks & maintains listener interest.
- When recording Voice Tracks, if you make an error, pause then repeat.
- Record using a Dog Clicker to help you see audio errors for easy editing & deletion post recording.
- Before using Audacity see Ian Ozsvald’s Audio Recording Screencast below.
- For in-depth Audacity screencasts see Lisa Hartwell’s YouTube Channel.
- Clicker sound leaves a convenient visual marker allowing accurate alignment of recorded or edited audio along the timeline for many projects. See image tip here: http://bit.ly/AudioVisualSyncTip
- For multi-camera video shoots, to sync video clips on the timeline, camera recorded audio is used as a reference to sync clips to the primary recorded audio. Once all clips are synced to the primary recorded reference audio track, camera audio in the video clips is silenced or deleted. Singular Software’s PuralEyes is a sync tool of choice for complex project edits.
Ryan Eash Instructional Designer for Camtasia Studio has an excellent 30 minute tutorial on his screencasting process with dynamic Table Of Contents.
Lecture Presentations: Recording & Playback
Two camera set ups, where one records the screen and the second a presenter, are easy to blend into single video recordings with Singular Software Presto. This is a low-cost seamless method for blending video recorded elements of lecture presentations. For examples click here For equipment & set up info on recording lectures click here. Click below to see a 2 minute notated example of blended video with Steve Jobs introducing the iBook app for the iPad.
TechSmith’s Camtasia Relay is an excellent lecture capture system for Teachers. Permanent installations with rich media integration of PTC (Pan Tilt Cameras), document cameras, PC output feeds and microphones are more expensive due to hardware needed. Options to consider are Sonic Foundry and Winnov
Web Meetings: Remote Groups OnLine
There are many options, most include post meeting playback of recorded events, click here for a current list of software & service providers
- This screencast a shows Windows 7 search tip & plays on VideoPress.
- VideoPress seems to compresses videos reducing image quality playback creating blurred images not present in the original. There seems no default control to force the HD setting to stay on, so original rendering quality is reduced and looks fuzzy in standard playback.
- Compare with the original screencast below:
To integrate & auto size video on WordPress sites see Chris Coyier’s screencast
Hosting Screencasts & Video – There are many options.
- YouTube free, but visually noisy & distracts viewers with links to other sites.
- Vimeo has free & paid versions all of which work well.
- Screencast.com allows a range of viewing flexibility with public, private, or viewer password log-in options in 25 gigabyte+ accounts.
- MediaCore provides outstanding end-to end site control with noise free customisable web pages & detailed analytics.
Warning: Portions of the presentation are prerecorded ; )
Khan Academy: Flipping the Classroom
Excellent examples how screencasting helps students learn.
A library of over 3,000 educational videos: http://www.khanacademy.org/
Khan Academy Explained on 60 Minutes
Khan Academy on TED